Your roof can last for 20, 30 or 40 years without major problems. However, time, wear and tear, and the natural elements can take their toll, resulting in conditions that invite water intrusion.
Even the slightest crack or hole is enough to invite a water leak, damaging your home and costing you thousands of dollars in repairs. That’s why it’s important to determine, locate and fix roof leaks when they happen. So, what do you look out for?
How to Tell if You Have a Roof Leak
There are clear-cut signs that your roof might have sprung a leak. We have the most common signs below – both internally and externally:
Checking the inside of your home is the best – and most obvious way – to determine if your roof has a leak, as it’s clearly visible.
- A dripping leak. The most obvious sign of all: do you see water leaking from your ceiling or walls? If so, it means you got a roof leak! Getting instant roof repairs is essential to stop this from getting worse.
- You notice a water stain on your ceiling or walls. The general consensus is that the larger the stain, the longer and larger the current leak. Make sure you check the corners where your walls and ceilings meet.
- Spots of mould and mildew in the living spaces. Mould and mildew are clear signs that water has penetrated your home. If you notice any spots like this in your ceiling, walls or attic, make sure you contact Hubbard Roofing immediately.
- Rotting wood or mould in the attic. The attic can provide you with direct evidence of a leak. Inspect it regularly, and keep an eye out for the likes of rotting or damp wood, mould and mildew.
(Learn more about attic condensation right here!)
Inspecting your roof from the outside can give you insight if you have a roof leak or not. Here is what you should look out for:
- Your roof shingles are buckled, curled, loose, or damaged. Any one of these signs is enough to cause a leak in your roof, as the gaps between the shingles invite water. Consistent roof maintenance can determine the quality and condition of your shingles, stopping any problems before they happen.
- Mould where the roof and exterior wall meet. Mould growth can occur at the intersection of the roof and exterior wall, which is usually caused by water seeping in behind the trim. Water spots, discolorations, and stains in these sections are also signs something is wrong.
- Damaged flashing. Your flashing plays a vital role in protecting your roof, so when something goes wrong, it can really impact your home’s protection. It is usually caused by improper installation or wear and tear.
- Clogged or damaged gutters. Your gutters act as a ‘gateway’ to push out water from your roof, protecting it in the process. However, if it is damaged or clogged with debris or leaves, it can force the water to pile onto the roof, applying unnecessary pressure, causing a leak. You should notice the lack of water coming out of a downspout.
(Suspect that you might need a new roof? Here’s how much it can cost you!)
Roof Repairs are Essentials
If you suspect that you have a leaking roof, then getting immediate repairs is essential. Delaying and allowing the leak to spread can continue to damage the roof, resulting in expensive repairs or even replacement.
Act fast and get repairs when you need them the most, and you’ll secure the safety of your home for years to come.
Hubbard Roofing & Exteriors is your trusted Calgary roofing company. Since 1985, we have been providing customers with top-quality roofing in Calgary, specializing in roof replacement, siding repair, and roof repairs. As a family operated and owned business, we have established ourselves as a trusted source of high-quality work. When you choose Hubbard Roofing & Exteriors, you are not just a customer; you are part of the family. For a free quote on your roofing in Calgary, call us at 403-995-0677.