One of the most popular home exterior options is also one of the oldest and most trusted: stucco. Having been used for homes and buildings for more than a century, you can see why this option remains a popular choice for homeowners in 2021.
Let’s take a deeper look at why stucco remains a trusted home exterior with our in-depth guide.
Your Comprehensive Guide to Stucco in Calgary
What is Stucco?
Stucco is made of a mixture of cement, water, line and sand, which when combined together, creates a hard, tough and waterproof finish.
The stucco is then applied to the outside of the home (either the entire home or just a section), in multiple layers, usually about one inch thick. It can be used over masonry or wood frames, making it super adaptable.
Stucco comes in various colours and textures, including smooth, dash, cat face, Spanish lace and worm, depending on the style and functional needs you want for your home.
What are the Benefits of Stucco?
There are several advantages that come with stucco:
- Durability & Toughness – Stucco is recognized for being tough against all external forces, particularly the weather. Once applied, it can withhold its hold for decades. It is also fire and sound resistant.
- Long-Lasting – If maintained properly – such as getting repairs or replacement when necessary – stucco can easily last up to 50 years or more!
- Improved Curb Appeal – Thanks to its unlimited colours and textures, you can add any stucco finish to home, which in turn, will improve its curb appeal and style. You can really transform your home with this siding material.
- Enhance Your Home’s Energy – With its tough exterior, stucco can significantly improve your home’s insulation, its R-value, which will result in reducing heating bills while creating a comfortable home.
- The Cost – When you consider the long-term benefits of stucco, and the minimal costs associated with installing and maintaining, you can see why it’s a valuable investment for many homeowners.
What are the Potential Drawbacks of Stucco?
Unfortunately, like many other home exteriors, there are some potential drawbacks that come with stucco siding:
- Cracks – Hairline cracks can occur with stucco, meaning you’ll have to get repairs ASAP to avoid water seeping into your home.
- Low-level Maintenance – Unlike other siding materials, stucco does require low-level and continuous maintenance to keep it fresh and sturdy.
- Porosity – Stucco is porous material, meaning that water penetrates it easier than other surfaces, if it’s not correctly sealed or maintained. That’s why it’s important to get it properly installed by exterior and exterior renovation professionals in Calgary.
How Much is Stucco in Calgary?
The best way to determine the cost of stucco in Calgary is to speak directly to siding installers. They can provide you with an estimate of the project, depending on the size, complexity and type of stucco you want for your home.
However, having a rough idea of the cost of stucco can be useful for your project. Here is what the price can be:
- Home Guide states that “The average cost to stucco a house is $6 to $9 per square foot, including materials and labour.”
- Remodelling Calculator offers similar prices, mentioning that homeowners are “spending $6-9 per square foot to install traditional stucco (materials and installation).”
- Calgary Homes says that “homeowners can expect to pay up to $22,000 total for stucco” but that depends on “not just the square footage, but also the location and the condition of the home”.
- Home Advisor states that it “costs $5,006 to stucco a 1,000-square-foot house, with most homeowners paying between $2,110 and $8,311 This includes the cost of materials, labour and stucco installation supplies.”
As we said, the most important thing to do – if you are interested in installing stucco in your home – is to speak to highly qualified, experienced and industry-recognized siding installers in Calgary – like Hubbard Roofing & Exteriors!
Hubbard Roofing & Exteriors is your trusted Calgary roofing company. Since 1985, we have been providing customers with top-quality roofing in Calgary, specializing in roof replacement, siding repair, and roof repairs. As a family operated and owned business, we have established ourselves as a trusted source of high-quality work. When you choose Hubbard Roofing & Exteriors, you are not just a customer; you are part of the family. For a free quote on your roofing in Calgary, call us at 403-995-0677.